Thursday, March 13, 2008

Lady Luck

Yep. That's her there, trying to per into that crystal ball. You'd be surprised how in demand she is. Publishers, editors, sales teams, and publicists all court her relentlessly.

You see, they know the simple truth: publishing isn't a science. In fact, it can be so elusive and nebulous sometimes that it hardly even qualifies as an art, although there are many artistic people involved. Publishing success nearly always requires a big fat dose of luck And as we all know, luck doesn't appear on demand.

Justine Larbalestier, a terrific YA fantasy author who's blog is one of my daily treats, has an excellent post up that reminded me that no matter what we or the publisher do, luck--good or bad--always plays a big role. Just something to keep in mind as we try to prioritize our time among our daily lives, writing, and promoting our work.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go polish up my crystal ball...

No comments: