Thursday, February 21, 2008

SVP Spotlight On...Donna Gephart

One of the things Mary and I have wanted to do with the Shrinking Violet Blog was use it to highlight new, emerging violet authors and their books, and we're very excited to introduce one to you this week.

Ms. Donna Gephart's first book will be published this month with Delacorte Press. And check out how timely her title is: As if Being 12¾ Isn't Bad Enough, My Mother is Running for President!

(I also think she's giving Mary a run for her money in the category of Longest Titles Ever!)

In her blog today, she has some very helpful thoughts on Book Promotion 101, straight from the trenches. Check it out!

And congratulations, Donna! And thanks for sharing your thoughts with our SVP readers.

8 comments:

Mary Hershey said...

Yahoooo, Donna! Her new book is just ten days out. Such an exciting month for her. Does she have the best cover ever, or what? It screams PICK ME UP!

Great tips on her blog entry that Robin linked to today. Don't miss it!

Best,
Mary

Eden Rivers said...

Just want to say that I love the idea of the shrinking violet promoter, and how to overcome bashfulness and get out there and sell books! Interesting blog--I'll be back!

Mary Hershey said...

Welcome, Eden! We're glad you've come by. Do come back. We have lots of fun here. Very cool little introvert tribe we are growing here.

:-)
Mary Hershey

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

Here's why Donna's title is great:
It tells you what the book is about--you can already guess what some of the conflicts are.
It tells you the target age range.
It tells you the tone (i.e., humorous).
It's unique. I'm sure there are no other books out there with the same one!
Quite a lot for a title to do!

Wild About Words said...

Dear liquidambar,

Thanks so much for the very nice words about my title. Mary and I are in competition for the world's longest titles. Since she has more books out than I do, she wins.

Regards,
Donna

Anonymous said...

Hi, Robin and Mary,
I just found your site today via a comment on my scbwi listserve and have enjoyed browsing! I will be back. :)

Julie

Robin L said...

Welcome Julie! So glad you enjoyed stopping by--and please do come back soon!

Susan Sandmore said...

I agree that this is the best cover ever! I heard the title on another blog, looked it up, saw the cover and though "Must read!" The photo is brilliant--the girl's expression is priceless. Bravo to the photographer and designer (and to Donna!).